it’s here! christmas eve. which means, cookies. for santa, for you, for anyone and everyone.
so now if you heard that santa has gone dairy free this year, cause all the cool kids are, then you’ll be prepared + won’t leave him hangin.
these cookies have rich chocolate flavor, similar to a brownie + are infused with peppermint extract for an amazing flavor combo. then topped with crunchy candy cane because it’s festive, really delicious, + i’ll admit photos much better than a plain chocolate cookie.
another option? if you love chocolate crinkle cookies, i found the texture of these to be very similar. you could simply roll the dough in part confectioners + part granulated sugar pre baking for that crinkle-cookie-powedered-sugary-look. going to try that my next batch because these didn’t make it to christmas eve at my place, in fact they barely made it through a me singing 12 days of christmas to my dog.
i chose to use whole wheat flour, but gluten free or all purpose could be subbed. i also used coconut sugar which made it free of refined sugar, but again sub with regular granulated sugar if you’d like.
- 1/2 cup vegan butter alternative, melted
- 3/4 cup coconut sugar
- 1 flax egg (1 tbsp. ground flaxseed mixed with
- 1/8 tsp peppermint extract
- 1 1/4 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1 tbsp. unsweetened almond milk
- 1 candy cane crushed
- 1. preheat oven to 350 degrees + line baking sheet with parchment paper.
- 2. melt the vegan butter, then cream together with sugar in large bowl until smooth.
- 3. sift together dry ingredients in medium bowl. (flour, cocoa, salt, baking soda, baking powder)
- 4. add flax egg + peppermint to wet mixture + whisk.
- 5. slowly add dry ingredients until well combined.
- 6. if dough is dry, add 1 tbsp. at a time of almond milk to improve texture.
- 7. allow to chill in fridge for about 10-15 minutes.
- 8. crush the candy cane + set aside.
- 9. roll the dough into 2 inch balls + place on baking sheet.
- 10. bake for 10-12 min until edges are browned + center is still chewy.
- 11. top with crushed candy cane* immediately, then allow to cool completely.
- *to stay completely refined sugar free, do not top with candy cane. cookie is still delicious! no unnatural sugars are needed.
have a safe, balanced + wonderful holiday with those you love! i’m so grateful for all of you who follow along as i try to kale’ it in the kitchen + in life. here’s to making 2016 pretty incredible. grab your non-dairy milk alternative people, let’s have a cookie.