what would a food blog called “kalein’ it” be without a kale salad here and there? quick story of the kaleinit name…
i get a lot of comments on social media about my instagram name. i’d say it’s died down a bit now but about once a day i still get the
“omg your name is too funny!”
…comment. kaleinit has evolved to become my description of a healthy balanced lifestyle, but really it began with my lunch. I was always bringing kale salads to work. almost everyday i would head to the office fridge + return with yet another variation of a kale salad. when deciding on my instagram and blog name, i knew kale had to be involved. now, the rest of the story will wait. because yeah, there was practically an office poll going on…
back to the recipe.
lately, as you may have noticed from the cobb salad, the recent cookies, etc., i’ve been really into “veganizing” dishes that traditionally have egg or dairy. time for a kaleinit version of the usually fattening, caesar salad.
i wouldn’t say that it’s the most guilt-free recipe ever, as there is still mayo. vegan mayo that creates a damn good caesar dressing knock off, though. i tried to lighten it up this salad with reduced fat vegan mayo, and I swapped out the croutons for roasted smoked paprika chickpeas. the chickpea croutons make the salad gluten-free, plus they are packed with fiber and protein. they’re crispy, crunchy and satisfying.
i’d say kale beats iceberg lettuce too, right? and the nutritional yeast? full of B vitamins. it’s not unhealthy….live a little!
- 4 cups washed lactino kale
- 2 cups of brussels sprouts cut in half
- 1 can organic chickpeas
- 2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp. smoked paprika
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- salt + pepper to taste.
- 1 cup of reduced fat vegan mayo
- 2 tbsp dijon mustard
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp unsweetened almond milk
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 2 cloves of garlic or 2 tbsp garlic powder.
- salt to taste.
- 1. preheat oven to 350.
- 2. wash + rinse chickpeas. coat in oil, then paprika, garlic powder, salt + pepper. place on a baking sheet.
- 3. when oven is ready, place chickpeas in oven. roast for 15-20 minutes, rotating halfway through + give them a shake so that they cook evenly.
- 4. chop kale + set aside.
- 5. in a small food processor pulse the brussels sprouts a few times into fine pieces, but not pureed. can dice them if you do not have a food processor.
- 6. prepare the dressing. in a small bowl, combine the mayo, mustard + seasoning. whisk until creamy + combined. taste test! add any seasoning you see fit.
- 7. assemble the salad. toss the brussels, kale, + dressing together until coated evenly with dressing. add chickpea croutons. sprinkle sunflower seeds or nutritional yeast. (optional)