what creates a balanced meal? many people think of some protein, a little carb, and some veggies on a plate. that’s well-rounded, right?
of course, but one thing I aim to do with my blog is show that this ideal can be achieved with plant based ingredients, and with the help of Modern Table, I’m making meatless more believable with this summer veggie soup recipe.
I love making soups because it presents the perfect opportunity to use up fresh veggies and herbs hanging around from farmer’s market trips. I’m also left with a batch of leftovers for lunches.
I partnered with Modern Table to create a recipe with their lentil pastas. gluten-free and protein/fiber PACKED, this pasta has ONE ingredient. just non-gmo red lentils. yes, you read that right. the lentil pasta comes in different varieties like elbows and penne, and easily become a healthy staple in any plant based kitchen.
the flavor and texture are great, and the lentil flavorful is not overpowering at all. It was just like any of rice pasta I’ve tried, and al dente is 6-8 minutes. I’ve combined the penne with some organic pasta sauce and fresh basil and topped with nutritional yeast for the easiest meal EVER. Modern Table makes “Tasty Meals for Modern Life” – and I agree! I love finding brands that value quality healthy ingredients and make it a breeze.
they also have meal kits, just add oil and have a delicious full meal with flavors like pesto and teriyaki. find the meal kits here.
1 serving of their products boasts 13-24 grams of protein, a fantastic amount for anyone worried about not getting enough on a vegetarian or vegan diet, or wants a more sustained energy. take that, non believers!
other ideas for these cute lentil elbow macaronis? make vegan mac and cheese,
or a dairy-free pasta salad filled with veggies and vegan mayo for upcoming summer get togethers. or try this summer veggie pasta salad I made.
as for this take on minestrone soup? deliciously light and flavorful. I tried my best to limit sodium and rely on flavors of fresh and dried herbs as well as plenty of veggies currently in season, such as summer squash, fresh green beans and crunchy celery. it takes about 30 minutes from start to finish, not bad for a balanced meal with 6-8 hearty servings! also not bad because less time over a hot stove in the summer months…
also note, if you don’t have some of the veggies I listed, feel free to substitute others. spinach or zucchini would work well! or, fresh corn off the cob. hmm, now thinking I need another batch of soup…
… let’s get to the recipe!
- 1 large summer squash
- 1 cup of fresh green beans cut in thirds
- 1 cup of baby carrots cut into small pieces
- 3-4 stalks of celery, diced
- 1 white onion
- 2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 1 6 oz. can of no salt added tomato paste
- 1 14.5 oz can of no salt added diced tomatoes
- 4 cups of vegetable broth
- 2 cups water
- 1 tbsp. dried basil
- 1 tsp. fresh thyme (or 1 tbsp. dried)
- 1 tsp. dried parsley
- 1 tbsp. dried oregano
- 1 bay leaf
- pinch of red pepper flakes (add more if you like spice!)
- sea salt and ground black pepper to taste.
- 1 package of Modern Table Elbows
- fresh thyme and basil leaves to garnish.
- Add oil and garlic to a large pot over medium heat for 1-2 minutes.
- Add chopped onion and cook for another 2 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add chopped veggies (squash, celery, green beans, carrots) and allow to sauté with onion and garlic for about 5 minutes, until softened but not cooked entirely, stirring often.
- Pour in diced tomato and add can of tomato paste. Add bay leaf, fresh thyme, dried basil, dried oregano, dried parsley, red pepper flakes and some sea salt and ground pepper at this time. Stir and cook for 3-5 minutes.
- Next, pour in vegetable broth and water.
- Cover and allow to simmer for another 10 minutes.
- While simmering, boil Modern Table pasta and cook according to directions. Drain, but do not rinse.
- Add pasta to soup and enjoy!
- Can be stored in air tight container for 3-4 days in fridge.
if you make this soup, tag me on instagram (and Modern Table, @moderntablemeals too!) and comment below! I’m curious what you think of this flavorful summer soup and head to Modern Table to see what else you can cook up with their gluten-free lentil pasta!