it feels like fall. and even if you aren’t experiencing sweater weather yet, check the calendar. it’s almost OCTOBER?!? where has 2016 gone??
but ah, a good year indeed. what do you guys think? are you excited for FALL?? I am. I absolutely love new seasons (preferably the warmer ones), because they represent a change. they also present you with the opportunity to take a look at what habits could go, what new habits could help you out, and how best to spend your time. it’s a chance to evaluate the situation, and take a tally of what’s working in life and what can be kicked to the curb. kicked with super cute boots you can finally pull out of the closet…
so whether you’re manifesting a new start, working toward a goal, reflecting on a relationship…
…oh wait- you’re not here for seasonal self refection??? you just want the deets on these god damn (drool worthy) donuts?
vegan apple cider donuts. because, fall.
these apple cider donuts are moist, sweet with hints of maple and so delicious. I’ve talked about my love for donuts in this post with my lemon coconut donuts, and buying a donut pan was pretty much life changing. I’m not trying to sound dramatic- donuts really truly are a favorite food. always have been. that’s a bold statement from a foodie.
buying one has also allowed me to swap out the egg and dairy, and bake them rather than fry!
if you don’t have a pan head to amazon and invest in one…asap.
these donuts are:
baked, not fried.
refined sugar free (without the glaze, and they are still delicious this way!)
still soft and fluffy!
- 1 1/2 cups GF baking flour flour
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup apple cider
- 1/4 cup almond milk (or any non dairy milk)
- 1 flax egg (1 tablespoon flax meal + 3 tablespoons water)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil, melted
- 1/2 cup confectioners sugar
- 1 tablespoons almond milk
- 1 teaspoon pure maple syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- Optional: garnish with a cinnamon sugar mixture.
- 1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- 2. Lightly grease the donut pan with coconut oil or cooking spray.
- 3. Prepare the flax egg by mixing the flax meal with water.
- 4. In a large bowl, add all dry ingredients // (GF flour, coconut sugar, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt. Mix well to combine.
- 5. Next add almond milk, vanilla extract, melted coconut oil and flax egg and mix well.
- 6. Pour into donut pan and bake for 12 minutes.
- 7. Remove from pan (flip it over!), and allow to cool.
- 8. While cooling, prepare the glaze.
- Whisk together all ingredients, adding more confectioners sugar as needed until desired thickness is reached.
- Lastly, dip the COOLED donuts in the glaze and allow to dry. Sprinkle with cinnamon sugar if desired.
speaking of newness…
did you hear that my friend Jessica Baumgardner, @healthcoachphilly, and I are starting a wellness festival in Philly? It’s called GOOD and we’ve dreamt about it and now we are making it reality. Check out the new festival here!
but trust me when I say more details are coming! but enjoy the sneak peek!
so here’s to some healthy-ish donuts, new awesome projects coming your way, and a new YOU. GO KALE FALL! xo