did you read the title + immediately get hungry? good, cause you’re going to want to prepare this salad asap. i loved putting together a healthy take on a traditional (+ traditionally not healthy) salad.
i chose spinach as the base because dark leafy greens are best + topped it with ranch + bacon. two things every meat eater tells me they would miss if moving toward a plant based diet. well, here’s a solution.
tempeh has also become my new favorite meat substitute to cook with. move over, tofu. i find tempeh to be easier to prepare + i prefer the texture. give it a try + you could be pleasantly surprised like myself.
so bacon (with no cholesterol, insane amounts of sodium, or unhealthy fats?) check.
+ ranch dressing (not filled with bizarre ingredients, sodium, or milk?) check.
to really just make this salad awesome, i brought in the avocado. isn’t it hilarious the craze around avocados lately? i mean completely warranted, they’re so healthy. but thankfully people are now realizing how cool and hip it is to eat plant based sources of monounsaturated fat. yayyy.
so enough talk of how great it is, let’s show you how to make this vegan cobb. then devour it.
- 4 oz. 3 grain tempeh (about 1/3 of a block of tempeh)
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 2 tbsp. earth balance butter
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup
- 1 tbsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup reduced fat veganaise/ vegan mayo
- 1/2 cup almond milk unsweetened
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 2 tsp parsley
- 1/4 tsp of black pepper
- 2 cups spinach washed
- 1/4 red onion
- 1/2 cup cherry tomatoes
- 1 avocado
- 4-5 scallions
- prepare tempeh bacon. makes 5-6 slices (not an entire package)
- prepare maple marinade by combining maple syrup + spices. slice tempeh very thin.
- place slices of bacon in marinade, completely cover + allow to sit while heating pan.
- heat vegan butter in a skillet over medium heat.
- place bacon strips into skillet. cook on each side for about 3-5 minutes until crispy.
- while tempeh bacon cools. chop cherry tomato, red onion, scallion, + avocado into cubes.
- chop cooled bacon into squares.
- base of salad is a bed of spinach then arrange toppings in rows + drizzle vegan ranch dressing over.
- vegan ranch dressing // keeps in fridge for 5-7 days
- combine ingredients.
- whisk by hand or in blender on low.